Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Leon's, Where it all Started


I needed to include this photograph of Leon's Restaurant and Bar, in Arbutus Maryland where I was born and raised the first 25 years of my life. This is where Dad met Mom.

At some point in the late 40's and early 50's, dad was a Studebaker mechanic. He then bought Leon's, where Mom was a waitress.

Dad told me that he loved her from the first time he saw her. Mom told me that she couldn't figure out why everyone stopped asking her out. Dad said they stopped because h threatened them. Dad would do tricks for her that would show how strong he was. Mom would pretend not to care.

They got married in 1954 but didn't tell anyone until 1956 when she was pregnant with Billy. Dad had been married before and the divorce wouldn't let him get married in the church. They never told anyone until 1981, when Dru and I told Mom that she was pregnant with Adam and we had been married for almost a year. De Ja Vu!!! Mom was shocked, as was I...........and Dru. Wow, so unique but so similar.

Mom told us the whole story...............and then we became parents! WOW!
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,

Like your blog. I will post more later.

Aunt Mary Ann in Baltimore

April 17, 2007 at 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,

This story about your parents means a lot to me, since I can remember back to when you brother Bill was born. Your father was loved and admired by everyone in our family. He was like a big brother to us. Before you kids were born, your father and mother used to take Aunt Cathy and myself a lot of places with them. They had a terrific marriage. I went by Leon's the other day. It still looks the same.

Aunt Mary Ann

April 22, 2007 at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home